Log Ridge Beam and Top Plate

I am designing our stick-framed house, but want to include logs for the top plates and ridge beam. For the top plates, I can't seem to get either a faceted log shape or a soffit to go on top of the wall. the best I can do is have it adjacent to the wall at the top. Is this possible with my Home Designer Architectural 2014? If so, how?

I was able to do the ridge beam using a library faceted cylinder (but home Designer didn't add the needed support framing). I was aslo able to add the same cylinder in the position at the top plate using the framing view, but again the wall framing doesn't know it's there and doesn't put a necessary framing top plate below the log. I suppose I may need to upgrade to Pro ?

Yes. Pro will give you more manual customization solutions to framing that is not otherwise available in the lower tier Home Designer software titles.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

The software will "notice" (respond to the presence of) other framing members but a generic objects carries no programming "significance" and is ignored by usual routines that are programmed in (even in Chief Premier), the end user is the entity that must notice and act to control outcomes in just about every title, There are only so many situations that can be written into sub-routines within software, it does not "think" but rather just reacts to settings, inputs and general conditions set up or not by us.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks David,

Can I do a log plate/purlin on top of the eave walls with Home Designer Architectural?

Can I do a log plate/purlin on top of the eave walls with Home Designer Architectural?
    Yes, just not using framing tools alone, such objects are created and placed manually (soffits, slabs, custom-imported objects made in Sketch Up etc).

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook