Box window wall height and foundations

Hi,

I've added a box window to a wall, but it hovers above the ground as seen in 3D view (see pic). How can I accurately bring it down to ground level and add foundations to match the rest of the building? Also, is there a way to reduce the height of the box window to below the ground floor ceiling height and put a roof over it?

Thanks,
    Mark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box window.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	13075

Draw it with walls and windows, do not use the "Box Bay" window symbol, it is mainly for the kind of outcome you currently have.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks! Now I've made the box bay a wall with windoows in it, I can't widen the window on each side right out to the corner of the bay so that they meet. In plan view, I can see that the small piece of wall on the corner is preventing me from making the window any wider as shown in the attached floor plan.

Name:	square piece of wall.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	13078

What I want to achieve is shown in the second pic. Can this be done?

Name:	bay corner.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	13079

First you need to go to "Plan Defaults" (Edit - Default Settings -Plan defaults) and un check "Ignore Casing for Opening re size" which allows you to "Ignore the physical width of casings in terms of placing windows and doors.
    You might also need to use the "Control-Key-Drag" method to get just the look you want. This is not necessarily easy (it takes patience in other words) to get just the look you want, you can get reasonable close.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

In plan view with "Ignore Casing for Opening resize" checked it still doesnt allow me to extend the width of the window into the column of wall on the corners. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried Ctrl-Drag, but it's the same behaviour.

Thanks,
    Mark

Think about it a moment, what is the width of the wall and what is the intended width of the window you are having trouble with, is there enough width to do what you are trying to do?
    the software is designed to allow enough room for standard window framing and perhaps you just do not have enough width for what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to emulate a bay window unit made as a single unit by established bay window manufacturer, it may be that its specifications are not possible using standard framing parameters, you might have to use a specialized symbol, downloaded from that manufacturer or Trimble 3-D warehouse to get this done.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 02-04-2013 at 03:24 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

The picture above shows the actual window I'm attempting to reproduce. It is made in 3 pieces connects on the corners of the bay without a pillar of wall on the corner. This is a fairly common construction for a square bay. Conservatories have the same corners where window meets window

From what I can make out...

1. The HDP 'box window' allows me to meeet the windows on the corner as required , but doesnt allow me to accurately bring the box to ground level with a foundation.
    2. Adding windows into a wall give me the foundations I require, but dont allow me to extend the width of the windows to the corner.

Is this correct or have I missed a trick? I'm surprised this isnt possible.

Use the box bay window and then manually draw the foundation underneath it is my advice.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter