2 Story House with Different Roof Types / Open to Below

I am having an issue with designing my 2 story house. The second story roof is a gable roof, and the roof over the first story is a shed roof that extends up to the second story. There is a small section of exterior wall above the first story roof and below the second story roof (see picture of exterior of house below). This wall does not extend into the house. The room below the shed roof is open to the roof, creating a half cathedral ceiling, where the shed roof ties into the ceiling on the second floor above the stairs (see picture of interior of house below). I’ve tried adding an exterior wall, with a doorway inside to get rid of the wall inside the house. This gets close, but leaves a little bit of the wall where the doorway ends. Is it possible to build an exterior wall that doesn’t extend into the house?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exterior_Backyard4.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	13394 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior_Family Room.jpg 
Views:	3435 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	13395

I am using Home Designer Suite 2014.

This would be a cinch using Home Designer Pro which, I am aware that you do not have it allows greater control over walls and roofs. I am sorry that this is not a useful answer or perhaps even helpful to you.
    It is a lovely open design but just from those posted images and your text above, I cannot offer anything really useful in detail but I (we) will probably need more graphic and additional language from you to usefully respond in terms of exactly what to do.
    Can you post (attach) some additional view of your house and of your model, especially exterior views? Can you make a copy of your plan file available for others to look at please?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

the heights of roofs are generated from the height of the rooms below them. It's hard to see in your pictures but I think you are trying to separate a gable end roof plane from a lower shed roof plane. by raising the ceiling heights of the higher area the roof will separate into 2 sections.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9