Internal dimensions have a mind of their own :(

Having temporarily abandoned my previous project because, despite reading as much as I could and following the instructions in Article Number 439, I am totally unable to create cross sections I started another project.

For some reason the behaviour of certain functions as totally different to that experienced with my first project and the most annoying of these is the fact that when I try and create internal dimensions one pointer of the dimension line always goes through to the other side of the wall. I manually drag them back to the correct side but as I work some will pop back to the "wrong" side again.

Could someone please explain where I can find the settings for this function as well as how to set them so that the pointer stays on the "correct" side of the wall.

Many thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interior dimension pointer.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	13640
    Now using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. RIP Windows XP
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

Use your default settings...

jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IntDimSetup.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	13641  
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (331.40)
    3GB VRAM
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    Chief Architect Premier X5
    HD Pro 2012
    Adobe CC
    A note pad and #2 pencil

I am having a similar problem/issue - I want to have dimensions go to the center of interior walls, and I have that set in the Defaults/Dimension/Dimensions - Interior Wall Centers but it still seems to dimension to the primary surface side only - I can work around this but it would be nice to be able to change the locating points as required/desired. Am I missing something in the settings or...????

Any suggestions?

ragnar01
    Home Designer Pro 2014

I'm not sure that the Dimension Defaults apply to all of the different dimension tools. I think they only apply to Manual Dimensions, not ones drawn using the Interior Dimension tool or the temporary dimensions that display when you have a wall selected either.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

The training video seems to indicate that it should work they way I think it should (though it uses HD2012) - change the default and subsequent dimensions should act that way but I can't seem to get the "change" to stick.

ragnar01
    Home Designer Pro 2014

I'm having the same problem. I've gone in to the settings to change the default and have checked the options that I want interior dimensions from inside wall surface to inside wall surface, but it still defaults to going through the exterior wall to the outside surface, not the interior surface. Even when I try to dimension manually it does this. Does anyone from the company ever answer questions on the forum or is only users helping each other?

I found it! in the tool bar, click on dimensions. Then in the drop down menu, click interior dimensions (it's the diagonal line) then start your dimension line from the interior of one wall to the opposite wall and it dimensions to the surfaces.

This is a users forum. That said; what title/version are you using?

jon
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (331.40)
    3GB VRAM
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    Chief Architect Premier X5
    HD Pro 2012
    Adobe CC
    A note pad and #2 pencil

Quote Originally Posted by RobinS View Post
    I found it! in the tool bar, click on dimensions. Then in the drop down menu, click interior dimensions (it's the diagonal line) then start your dimension line from the interior of one wall to the opposite wall and it dimensions to the surfaces.
    I only use that tool for my dimensions and it works at the time. However often when I go back to the plan, say the next day, I often find that the pointer has moved again of it's own accord and I have to manually drag it back to the inside wall surface. When you are working with mirror image plans as in a block of apartments it really becomes a pain as you continually have to check that the pointers in each room are still all on the inside wall surfaces where you want them to be.
    Home Designer 2014 Pro

I feel it is useful to remind people that software is not an "it", and that software does not have an agenda, personality or behavior. It is a sophisticated tool which needs to be learned and then controlled by its users and nothing more. Inconsistent behavior stems from a lack of knowledge of how to control the software and make it do things you want done. Learning is driven by one's intention to know and that "will to win" is a wild variable in people, don't give up so easily!

Everything one needs to know is in the Reference Manual and Help Files but one has to first decide that there is something there to learn and then intend to develop their own competence by study followed by practice of that studied material until competence is self-displayed as a reward for having successfully studied.

We all start out stupid by default, knowing is an earned commodity.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 09-03-2013 at 05:50 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I really, really do wish you'd stop being such a pompous prat when you post to the forums, David. All you are doing is inflating your own ego and, in doing so, you tend to make people who post queries on here feel totally inadequate and a waste of (your) space and time.

The forums are here to be used by people who have paid for the software and who need a bit of help when it comes to using IT. And when you consider that the User Reference Manual is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult things to use that I have ever come across with constant referencing from page to page after page after page without really telling you much, why not just contribute to the query posted with some helpful hint instead of constantly preaching?

If you aren't willing to do that on any given thread then don't post anything.
    Home Designer 2014 Pro