more roof plane issues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear view.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	13847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plan view.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	13846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front view, note left peak.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	13845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contractor front view.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	13844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contractor floor plan.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	13843

I am using Suite 2014. Our contractor does not provide 3D views. As a result, I am trying to back-design what he has given us so that we are better able to evaluate the design. The contractor's plan and a front view (the only one we have received) are attached. I have been able to place the double gable over the garage and over 2 of the extensions (better name?), as well as the right gable on the main roof. Did I mention that I am also reversing the plan, something the contractor has not gotten around to?

The issue I am having now concerns 2 of the gables, the false peak over the extension on the right, and the right gable on the main roof over the garage. The garage gable appears to be centered over the outside wall of the 2-stall garage, if there were a wall in that location.

Any help with methods to add these features will be appreciated.

Is this easier to do with Pro?

Thanks!

Les
    Last edited by larson701; 09-19-2013 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling

I know that the “false peak” over the entry way will probably need to have pro to do, though you might be able to get close with a floating dormer.

(Dutch Hip - http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00749/)

Could you explain a bit more about what you are having trouble with the garage?
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

Take a look at the contractor's elevation view. Just above where the outer wall of the 2-stall garage would be, the peak appears to be a gable, part of the main roof, not the peaks over the garage doors. On my model, that area appears to be similar to a hip roof, tho that wall is labeled as a gable in the model. I am guessing that this is a geometry issue but I have not been able to alter the model in any meaningful way to generate a gable roof, other than to eliminate the 3rd stall of the garage. The issue is also having an effect on the back side of the garage, resulting in a very strange group of roof planes.

I appreciate your help.

Les

Les,

Suite is limited in what you can and cannot do, roof-wise. It does what it does very well but manual roof control is not part of its abilities, you would need Home Designer Pro and would then have to learn how to manually control-create roof planes.

Suite will be just fine for any interior views, space planning and visualizing you and your wife might want to do, just not the exact roof lines which are beyond the capabilities of what you purchased.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I do not automatically assume that I am being limited by the software, especially since I am a new user. Having you confirm that I may benefit from an upgrade to Pro is just as valuable as the advice on manipulating Suite.

I appreciate your time and your help.

Les