Strange triangles projecting from eaves/roof plane

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof.JPG 
Views:	315 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	14188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ceiling.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	14189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eave.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	14190
    This is my first time here, I am hopeful for some help!

The roofs above were created with automatic roofs. The triangles jutting out from the eaves are visible in all 3D views except dollhouse. (not visible in plan view)
    They are level and at eave height, visible from the interior and exterior as a thin sheet.
    The material is that of the Eaves/Soffit on both top and bottom. (Changing the Eaves/Soffit default changes the triangle material).
    They are located on the Roof Planes layer, but are not selectable.
    If I add a second floor, they move up with it to stay at eave height.

They do not appear on an earlier version of the same plan, not sure what I did in between but I did experiment with settings to create a 1.5 story condition.
    I have tried deleting virtually everything on the plan except for the first floor walls, but when I rebuild the roofs the triangles reappear.
    I tried building a new simple building, and the triangles appeared on it. I even tried manual roofs on a new building, still got the triangles.

I could go back to a previous version and work forward, but I'm afraid it will just happen again. I would like to fix it and learn what caused it so I don't make the mistake again. Thanks
    Chief Architect Home Designer Pro
    Skill Level - Know just enough to be Dangerous

This software is quite wonderful, its wonders to perform but perfect it is not nor likely to be.

This sort of anomaly just occurs from time to time, in my twenty years of experience I do not know what causes this; the way to handle it is to delete the offending roof planes and build them again until the unwanted artifacts then disappear or vanish.

As you have observed they did not appear earlier and if you continue to insist that they vanish, they most likely will be made to vanish. I am not a software Architect or Engineer so I cannot explain why they appeared or when they disappear, why they disappeared, I just know that insisting that they go is what will work. Doing nothing will deliver zero results.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thank you, David. I did delete ALL the roof planes. As a matter of fact, I made a test copy of the file and deleted absolutely EVERYTHING from the workspace, using delete objects, delte floors, delete foundations, etc, select delete, etc and turned on all the layers to make sure nothing was hidden and I had nothing but white space in every view. Then I built a brand new building....guess what.... It created the triangles again.

I'm now recreating 2 days work from the last clean file I have. I had frequent backups, but the backups had the same problem (it didn't materialize visually right away, but it was there)
    I'd like to figure out what may have caused it....because if I follow the same course it is likely to happen again. Have you ever seen this particular anonmaly before?

Have you ever seen this particular anomaly before?
    Yes, as I said in my prior post. What I would do myself is to just delete the roof planes that are "producing" the unwanted triangles and redraw each of them manually.

You can send a copy of your plan to Chief Architect Inc Tech Support and IF they can duplicate the same results on their PC they can then figure out what is causing it from a programming angle, if they cannot duplicate the same result then no solution is possible other than what I have already suggested above.

If you demand perfection from software, then I suggest that you stop using it altogether, as I said before this software is quite wonderful but not and never has been in all aspects "perfect".

How you feel about it is how you feel about it, I am merely sharing how I "feel" about it.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    Yes, as I said in my prior post. What I would do myself is to just delete the roof planes that are "producing" the unwanted triangles and redraw each of them manually.

DJP
    I tried that. Even when I draw the roof planes manually, the triangles jump out from them as soon as they are connected. I can then identify which roof plane is producing the triangles and delete and redraw, triangle reforms. After about 20 tries I created one new building without triangles, then I flipped it over and saw it was missing a large chunk of the eaves....where the triangle had been.

The only apparent solution is to scrap the whole file and start over. My fear is that if I follow the same path to recreate my previous work, I'll repeat the same action that caused this, so I'd like to figure out what I did wrong.

I will send my file off to CA as well. Thank you for all your insight.

You can remove such artifacts at least temporarily by way of the "Delete Surface" tool, this tool works only in camera views and temporarily removes 3D faces (virtual objects are comprised of 3D faces or facets which define sides of objects - one left-click of this tool on unwanted objects removes a face-per-click).

This removes the selected 3D face from a particular camera view while it is open, when the camera view is closed, the removed object then returns and so this is only a temporary fix for the purpose of printing.

The icon looks like an "S" with an "X" superimposed over it, look it up in the Reference Manual for more background data on the tool and its uses.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    You can remove such artifacts at least temporarily by way of the "Delete Surface" tool
    DJP
    Super. That took the triangles right out. It did leave some gaps and voids in the eaves that can be seen looking up from underneath, but it would do in a pinch since I wouldn't need to print anything at that angle. I started over from scratch but is a relief to know there is a way to work around it if that ever happens again. Thanks very much for your help.