Roof pitch transition over porch

Hi there,
    I am attempting to extend a bump out further with a covered patio, where the roof changes pitch from 9:12 to 3:12. (The attached pictures describe best what I'm trying to do.) This is really similar in concept to what is described here: http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00045/. I am able to replicate the KB article easily. However, with the bump out in play, I am unable to achieve the desired roof transition without everything going all "FUBAR" on me.

Is there something simple I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple plan outline.png 
Views:	514 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	14314
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side Elevation.png 
Views:	3032 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	14315

I believe this is somewhat like what you are trying to achieve. Basically I created a simple gable roof over the rectangular portion of the structure and then manually added the lower pitched (3:12) roof plane over the bump out and porch/patio. It took a little tinkering with the porch and front wall heights to get the smooth transition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Transition-1.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	14316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Transition-2.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	14317  

Is there something simple I'm missing here?
    This software is controlled by settings (lots and lots of settings), learning where those settings are and what they are for is the totality of learning how to get results quickly with this software.

In Home Designer Pro, as Rich indicated you can manually edit roof planes with your mouse and by way of their dialog boxes with great ease (once you learn how, that is).

Otherwise, if you have anything else than Home Designer Pro, you have to work with Wall Specification Dialog box - Roof Tab Settings and Room Specification Dialog box - Structure Tab - Ceiling Heights to guide the roof generator to a result, which takes study followed by practice and patience.

What software do you have?

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 02-11-2014 at 03:22 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks for the replies, guys. Seriously, you are studs.

David, great question - I am using HDP 2014. Your other suggestion of changing the ceiling height (if not doing a manual roof) occurred to me, but it seems like there's a lot of math involved to make everything line up right, not to mention figuring out how to eliminate the overhang on the bump out.

Rich - what you put together is close, but the roof plane on the bump out would actually need to extend the slope downward (i.e. be a continuation of the upper roof), while the patio ought to be where the roof transitions to 3:12. In the picture you provided, it looks like the roof transitions between the central mass and the bump out. From your response and David's comments, though, it kind of sounds like I just need to spend the time learning how to do manual roofs. Eh?

nothing is wrong in learning anything you are lacking with as in this case i am lacking why getting the posts and getting the facts in return as well

...but it seems like there's a lot of math involved
    There are two methods for editing roofs in anything but Home Designer Pro (roof tab directives and ceiling height settings per room dialog) to vary roofs. There is no "math" involved, just dimensioning the results per try. All I am suggesting is that one uses the tools at hand to create with.

In Home Designer Pro, the same is true in that you can make edits based upon dimensions without having to resort to mathematical formulas (you can also do that if you wish).

Manual roof tools allow you to finely control the height and angle of individual roof planes, otherwise you have to use settings by way of wall dialogs -roof tabs or by adjusting the ceiling height of various spaces to achieve similar results in titles other than Pro.

No Math is required other than simple addition or subtraction, higher math is built into the software itself.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Rich - what you put together is close, but the roof plane on the bump out would actually need to extend the slope downward (i.e. be a continuation of the upper roof), while the patio ought to be where the roof transitions to 3:12. In the picture you provided, it looks like the roof transitions between the central mass and the bump out. From your response and David's comments, though, it kind of sounds like I just need to spend the time learning how to do manual roofs. Eh?
    Picky, picky, picky. Try this one on for size.
    Its all there at your fingertips my man. You just have to jump in and mix it up with the software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof Transition-3.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	14320  

I believe that is so.