Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am not sure anyone really understands what's going on? If I start from SCRATCH with a new plan, draw first floor, build roof with gable ends, the FOLLOW the cupola tutorial, I have no problem building it just like I WANT IT, and with either style roof. It is only when I open my original plan, and follow the tutorial: Build Floor> Blank 2nd Floor> draw ONLY the cupola walls on the 2nd floor> open the rooms dbx >make it open below> go look at a perspective then everything is screwy. I did manually draw the walls back in that would be the attic gable walls, but I have to remove the gable vents first, then add them back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice cupola both ways.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	14640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cupola on blank plan.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	14641  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

I still think it has something to do with the way you built the porch roof which isn't on your practice plan....

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

I still think it has something to do with the way you built the porch roof which isn't on your practice plan....

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round roof cupola.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	14642
    Bob..
    If you are ever able to manually draw the cupola, you CAN put a round roof on it. The round roof is floor 3.
    Also, when I added floor 3, the ceiling heights on floor 2 changed and I had to reset them. Could this be what is happening on your floor 1 when you add the cupola?
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Rich...
    If your architectural version has the cupolas, the you can add them to your new library, I think.
    If that doesn't work, you can copy/paste them from the old program into a plan in your new program.
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

At Rich ...you can import older libraries into newer versions ...perhaps that's what I did ? there not in HDAcrh9 so I didn't get them from there...

at ....BB do you have a wall break where the porch gable meets the main wall gable? ie making it two separate walls.

Do you have the cupolas in Pro 10 BB , Rich says they are in Pro 14 ?

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Do you have wall breaks between the porch gable and the house wall gable? ie so it acts as two separate walls?

@Rich not the 1st time I have seen items "left out " of newer libraries, these are in HDA9 so I didn't import them from there ....PM me your email address ,I'll see if I can fix ya up.
    there are actually 3 cupolas and one weathervane and there are also Balconies in that library in 10 (4 entries vs 2.) they aren't a bonus lib. in '14 are they?

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Thanks for the offer Mick. I have located the
    elusive objects in the bonus catalogs. I haven't
    downloaded much of the bonus content at this
    point as I am still in the process of tweaking
    the setup of my upgraded graphics workstation.
    When I have everything "just so" I plan on doing
    a fresh reinstall of all my software at which point
    I will go hog wild with the bonus content.

Name:	EA's.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	14643  
    Home Designer Pro 2014

Don't kill your ideas.... Execute them.

well that's one way to make it seem like your Users are getting "Extra Bonus" stuff

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Okay JoAnn I'll bite .....how did you do the round roof ? A cone with roof shingles applied as material?

thanks

M.
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	round roof cupola.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	14642
    Bob..
    If you are ever able to manually draw the cupola, you CAN put a round roof on it. The round roof is floor 3.
    Also, when I added floor 3, the ceiling heights on floor 2 changed and I had to reset them. Could this be what is happening on your floor 1 when you add the cupola?
    JoAnn, thanks. I was not trying to do a round roof, just a round top VENT/LOUVER. That IS a good thing to know. In my practice plan, I used a fixed glass window, w/arched head changed the material for the glass to a "louver" bladed mat'l. BUT until I can figure out how to build it on my finished plan, I will just use the one from the library.
    Last edited by BB boy; 05-12-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Quote Originally Posted by Kbird View Post
    Do you have wall breaks between the porch gable and the house wall gable? ie so it acts as two separate walls?

@Rich not the 1st time I have seen items "left out " of newer libraries, these are in HDA9 so I didn't import them from there ....PM me your email address ,I'll see if I can fix ya up.
    there are actually 3 cupolas and one weathervane and there are also Balconies in that library in 10 (4 entries vs 2.) they aren't a bonus lib. in '14 are they?

M.
    Mick, I had to use a wall break, and did invisible wall (not rail or post and beam) because they wanted me to design with special columns (wood wrapped top-cultured stone bottom) and I couldn't get it any other way. JoAnn mentioned ceiling heights changing when adding the cupola feature, mine did do that, but even when I caught it and changed it back it didn't affect the outcome of the "SCREWY" results.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

I do have the 3 cupolas in pro 10, I selected one of them to "get by" so I could present last Friday. They didn't like the "rectangular" louver/vent but said they'd have the builder do a round top. I would've started over from scratch and got the main features (exterior walls, build the cupola, build the roofs) and gone from there, but didn't have the time to make the last minute changes and still get it to the board in time for their review/approval.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

In an effort, to not allow the soft-ware to defeat me, I started a brand new plan. So far I've managed to do the manual dormer, with MY home made round top vent/louver; however, I am unable to get the gables to draw correctly (they are now missing at the porch) and even though I followed DJP's You tube and attempted to edit the height of the cupola.....NO DEAL....no matter the changes I make it has reached it's current height and keeps telling me to go take a hike when I attempt to set a new ceiling height. So what you see is what I have at this point.
    I am still working on it! I have only drawn the exterior walls visible and invisible to this point. @ 1 you see the cupola just stays at that height no matter what. imaginary bottom drops lower when I fiddle w/different heights. @ 2-no gable at the porch area and even if I try to draw it manually nothing shows.
    So, I keep working. I had to change the porch from invisible walls, to railing with post to beam no shoe, top or bottom rail and also put a ceiling in although I didn't want one. Then the software cooperated and put my gable walls back in. While clumsily searching for gable vent, I came across Arched top vent louver in of all places-Mech, Elec, Plumbing "ventilation" well imagine that. I guess to keep the gable ends I'll have to do what the software wants, and doctor the posts up to get a Wood wrap with cultured stone base.

Name:	Cupola height doesn't change.JPG 
Views:	317 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	14659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Porch w gable ends.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	14660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New plan & Cupola.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	14658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pony wall w stone.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	14661  
    Last edited by BB boy; 05-12-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Bob...
    When you said 'round top' I thought you meant the roof, or even the cupola. So i tried making a round cupola and the software won't allow it ( it sends the roof wonky). So I made this 6 sided cupola that I think looks nice.
    Then you clarified that it was a round top vent that you wanted, and I was going to tell you that there was one in the library, but I see that you found it!

Anyway, if you would post a floor plan jpeg with some dimensions and ceiling heights (use LARGE TEXT), I would have like to have some fun trying to replicate it (to see what's going on). And leave the grid turned on, too.

Name:	BB boy cupola.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	14662  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7