Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What components should I use to construct a Georgian-style Portico entrance canopy?

Hi all,

I am a newbie, both to the forum and to the Home Designer software (Suite 2014), and still finding my way around both!

I wish to apply a Georgian-style portico entrance canopy to the front of my home design and cannot find any pre-made porticos in the library ... I realise that the software is USA-based, so could I be searching using the wrong terminology?

If not, I'd be very grateful for some advice/assistance on how to construct a portico from component pieces.

Thanks in anticipation.

could you attach a picture or example of what you are looking for?

There is a Help Database article called How to create a Portico
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...icle/KB-00168/

Is this what you are looking for?
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

Hi Lamina...

I have seen the 'How to' article you have kindly directed me towards (which will help me enormously in the construction process), but I am looking more for a Georgian-style portico (picture example attached) as opposed to the porch-style canopy illustrated in the article.

I have located suitable columns in the Library Browser but am stuck as to what to use for the slab-top, particularly its decorative features ... any suggestions?

Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portico.jpg 
Views:	995 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	13784  
    Last edited by mywifenow; 08-29-2013 at 10:15 AM.

I am using a Soffit to simulate a three foot wall located behind the kitchen sink cabinets.
    I hope your summer is just like Sexy Bikini filled with surprises.

Or you can import a ready-made portico from http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/
    You can also import the parts and try to reconstruct it yourself. For example, import youw columns (http://archive3d.net/ has some great columns under "structure" on the right) and build a soffit with milwork for floor and ceiling and add the columns. From the picture you gave us, it's quite easy to make it using soffits, milwork and columns provided by the programme.
    Home Designer Architectural 2014

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    Or you can import a ready-made portico from http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/
    You can also import the parts and try to reconstruct it yourself. For example, import youw columns (http://archive3d.net/ has some great columns under "structure" on the right) and build a soffit with milwork for floor and ceiling and add the columns. From the picture you gave us, it's quite easy to make it using soffits, milwork and columns provided by the programme.
    Thanks, Arthur ... I have the fairly basic slab shapes and columns assigned, but I am having trouble finding the components that will create the decorative molded edging as featured in my photo (reproduced here again). Crown molding doesn't do the job as it's open at the back ... any ideas?

Views:	623 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	13787  
    Home Designer Suite 2014
    Based in London

Have looked for any molding in http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ?
    I'm not I get what you mean by "open at the back" but in editing a soffit in molding tab under manufacturer catalogue there are some marvellous moldings, but again I'm not quite sure what you mean
    Attachment 13788
    Maybe something like this? I quickly made a draft portico ceiling in front of a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    I'm not sure I get what you mean by "open at the back"
    Hi again, Arthur...

I didn't describe my point very well, but what I meant was that the crown molding is hollow at its rear so is unsuitable to trim the portico's canopy. I suppose crown molding would give an impression of what I'm after, but I'd rather use the 'real thing' represented in either stone or molded concrete (see attached picture for example).

I have looked at the 3-dwarehouse site but can't find anything like what I'm after, besides a trio of 'Example Porticos' that I can't separate ... the smallest one would be about perfect, but all of them import as a single entity.

I'm afraid I couldn't see the attachment you kindly provided ... I clicked on it only to be told there was an 'Invalid attachment specified'?

Thanks once again.

Name:	portico molding.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	13810  
    Home Designer Suite 2014
    Based in London

There are corbels in the millwork catalog. Here is an image I created by stretching a corbel from the library the filling ths space in the middle with a closed box shape from the library

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stretched corbels.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	13811
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

So instead of looking at moldings. if you can't find what you need perhaps a search for corbels that are stretchable would be better.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

I think I can see now what you mean. I'd suggest that you build the portico piece by piece using shapes, but it might sound stupid even though it might work. I'll try to attach the image I told you about, once again and I hope this time it appears properly. If it doesn't I can e-mail it to you

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	398 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	13814

Thank you, Arthur ... that is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm after!

I tried stretching a pair of the 'molding outside corners' I found in my library a couple of days ago but, when each were stretched a half length of the canopy, they distorted so much they didn't look the part anymore ... maybe I overstretched them? And I searched and searched for a straight infill (featuring the same profile as the corbels) but had absolutely nothing like it in my library. Maybe that's the issue ... as I'm only using Home Designer Suite 2014, perhaps my library isn't as extensive as the 'big boy' programs.

Can I request a huge favour and ask you to let me have the specific names of the component parts you've used to create the portico in your picture? That way I can identify for sure if I have the items in my library, or go searching for them if I don't.

Thank you, Arthur ... you have been a big help.
    Home Designer Suite 2014
    Based in London

I see you use HD Suite and maybe you really can't do it. Anyway here's the recipe ;-)
    The Identified Flying Object against the wall is a soffit (from the cabinet drop-down catalogue) having the appropriate dimensions and set at the appropriate height above floor. Let's say 2,70m.
    If you double-click the soffit you open the soffit specification window where you can play with its form, this is where you adjust the dimensions and its height above the floor. As you probably can see the soffit specification window has got three tabs "General" (with the dimensions) "Moldings" (where you add decorative moldings) and "Materials"
    Go to "Moldings"
    Press "Add new" and you enter the Library. There, in my edition I have many types of moldings I can add. The one in the picture I sent you is under Manufacturer Catalogue (downloaded from Content Download under User Centre from http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/) I hope you can download it in your edition. After adding the moldings you can again play with their heights and positions.
    I hope I helped. DO NOT hesitate to ask again if I did't get across, I'm a teacher and I can find another way to explain ;-)

Arthur, thank you ... you are explaining it absolutely perfectly! Certainly enough to help me identify what the problem is ... the 'Soffit Specification' dialog box that I get when I double-click on my soffit has only 'General' or 'Materials' tabs, and no 'Moldings' tab ... it would have been plain-sailing with one o' those! ;-)

So, it looks like I've discovered one of the differences between HD Suite and HD Architectural. How irritating!

Many thanks for your help, anyway.

Onwards and sideways....
    Home Designer Suite 2014
    Based in London

Here's another idea: Take a wall cupboard. Has it specification window got a "Moldings" tab in HD Suite? If so, make the door a blank area and add as many moldings as you want, in order to take revenge! And of course play with its dimensions position and colours.
    If you can't do this either, I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas.