Placing appliances in base cabinets

I need to place a cooktop in the centre of two base cabinets as both cabinets are for 2 underbench ovens. how do I do this

You did not mention which version of the software you have but I will go with Home Pro, assuming the cabinet features are the same in each home version.

Place the underbench oven in a standard base cabinet. Adjust the oven to a mimimum height (I saw some ovens were as short as 23", you will have to check on the brand you want) so as to allow room for the cooktop (check dims for the cook top you want). I went with a 23" high oven. Remove the counter top by setting it's thickness and overhang to zero, then adjust the cabinet height. I went to 29" for this demo. It takes some playing to get the oven set right. You will need to go into the front section of the cabinet dialog box and delete the seperation and any other sections above the oven. Keep adjusting and setting the oven low by moving it down in the dbx. You will eventually get it there with practice.

Now that the oven and base cab are ready make a copy and place it next to the first cabinet for the two side by side ovens.

Now create another base cabinet and set the toe kick to zero depth and zero height. Set the floor to bottom to the height of the oven cabinets. I made mine 29" Now I set the height to 7" for the cabinet and counter making up the difference for a total of 36". Make this cabinet the width of the two oven cabinets. I made each oven cabinet 33" so I made my 7" cabinet 66".

Slide this 7" cabinet over the top of the two oven cabinets. You can place a full height cabinet next to one of the oven cabs temporarily to use as a stop when sliding the top cab in place, then delete the full height cabinet.

Place your cooktop into the top cabinet. and your good to go. With some playing, and depending on room, you could add a false drawer front to the top cabinet if you wish. Again, everything depends on appliance sizes. you may have some difficulty getting the width of the ovens right but this should be close enough for your model. I only had one choice for the oven as I have not downloaded any additional appliances as yet so you may have one selected thst will work well for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench ovens.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	13906

Welcome to the Forum!

Important posts/threads you should read:

Welcome New Users

How to get good answers

How to attach pictures

RT, not all Home Designer titles have any control over toe kick depth. New posters commonly do not say what software they have at first assuming that what they have, everyone else has (a common misconception).

Only Home Designer Pro has control over toe kick height and depth, none of the other titles do, so if this person has Pro, your answer is correct but if they have anything else it will be rather confusing and disappointing to them.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

David, Maybe so. That said, here is another alternative. I believe that anything could be accomplished with a little thought which is the very thing I wish to convey here. More of a glass half full attitude over a glass half empty. People are much smarter than credited for!

If the explanation I offered above isn't a viable solution, here is a down and dirty version that may not be correct (the cooktop needs more depth room than given ) it certainly conveys the idea which is really what design is all about anyway!

1. Set ovens into two bases sized accordingly for width. Place together.

2. Place cooktop and done.

Please post if either method doesn't work for you as there are other ways to make this happen. Never give up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple Bench Ovens.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	13907
    Last edited by RT Jones; 10-18-2013 at 09:07 AM.

That was very good, you should be writing the manuals. Here's another toe kick idea, but I don't know how to do it. Ikea's (base)cabinets, I'm talking about the real thing, have the option to stand on 5" round metal legs, or there is a board supplied to clip onto them, for a traditional toe kick to the floor look. I'm designing a kitchen for our house, I may use Ikea but I'll probably re-cycle or re-build half of the existing cabinets instead. If the whole kitchen is elevated 5", (except the sink cab, tall cabs, etc.) my wet/dry Roomba can clean the floors while I'm out. So how can I show my wife why we have to buy the Roomba machine.

GG,

You must tell us also which software program you have and its version number, otherwise any answers we tender can ONLY be generalized guesses. Each software title has more ability and choice built into it, the more you pay for it: (the "pecking order" is roughly from least expensive to most expensive: Essentials, Interiors, Landscape and Deck Designer, Suite, Architectural and lastly Home Designer Pro).

Without knowing that data, any answers are so much hot air..

Welcome to the Forum!

Important posts/threads you should read:

Welcome New Users

How to get good answers

How to attach pictures

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

Hi Getting Good! It's been a while but I used to live in Palm Springs myself. Actually, my home was in Palm Desert but I worked in Palm Springs at a small residential housing project over on Racquet Club near Palm Canyon Drive. My family and I really liked it there.

David is correct as to some of the features being different between the various versions. It is my intention to learn as much of the various differences between the home software packages and I will, most likely, pick up a copy of the Architectural version soon for a better idea of what is available.

For now, the best I can do is point out ways for you to experiment with the software and possibly satisfy your design criteria. The main thing I encourage is to never give up!

So, in regard to your question, I am assuming you cannot adjust the toe kick in size or simply delete it in the front view tab of the cabinet dbx? This would mean most of the adjustment features available in Home Pro are not included in your version. The next thing I would try is to place a wall cabinet and experiment with the size and distance off the floor. If these settings can be adjusted then you have your solution by stacking two wall cabinets one above the other where the lower cabinet is sized to represent the lower base door and the second stacked cabnet is sized for the drawer section. In Home Pro the user can actually insert a drawer directly into the wall cabinet. You can experiment with shelves or, if available, CAD slabs for your countertop.

Most importantly is to think outside the box and learn exactly what each of the options you have available will do. Once this is learned you can then start experimenting and combining these features.

Try this and see if you can achieve your goal. Be sure and let us know how it comes out. Good Luck!
    Never Give Up!

RT Jones
    Semi-Retired Designer / Eng

Could you do please explain for Home Designer Architectural - 2014? Thanks.

Saberwolve1 and others:

This video should make clear what this thread is about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsUn...ature=youtu.be

DJP

David Jefferson Potter