Struggling with extended gable roof and ceilings

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I just bought an old farmhouse and are hoping to use Home Designer as a way to see what our plans look like before we dive into renovating each room. We have struggled with getting the roof to look right in the program, as well as the ceilings/walls inside. As you can see in the exterior photo attached (showing the back of the house), the roof is divided into two perpendicular gabled sections. There are two stories on the left side of the house, plus a "bonus room" that is essentially a finished attic (where that big trapezoid window is). On the right is only two stories. The last owner removed a knee wall and now you can see directly into the downstairs from the second floor (as seen in the second photo).

I feel like I've tried everything, so I'm looking for some guidance mainly on how to get the extended gable roof to extend from the 2nd floor down to the 1st floor.

Any help is appreciated! I'm still relatively new to this, so if you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,
    Dez
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130615_153444.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	14276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130819_134616.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	14275  

Welcome to the Forum!

Important posts/threads you should read:

Welcome New Users

How to get good answers

How to attach pictures

What software title and version do you have? How far have you gotten (show us).

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Current status and screen shots

Thanks for the welcome, David! I'm using Home Designer Suite 2014, build 15.2.0.87x32.

I attached the overview of how my building looks right now along with each floor layout. This is my fourth time "starting fresh", and I think this is (sadly) the closest and cleanest attempt that I've had. I just can't get the extended roof to meet seamlessly with the gabled one above.

My other challenge is the wall perpendicular (to the left) of the sloped roof - it goes from being exterior to interior as the roof slopes up along it.

Again, any guidance is much appreciated!

Name:	1st floor.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	14277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd floor.JPG 
Views:	312 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	14278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd floor.JPG 
Views:	307 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	14279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overview.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	14280  

1. Your second floor should look like this 2D example. That will also fix the exterior wall problem.

2. When looking at your real pic and your 3D pic, the ceiling heights appear to be wrong.
    Floor 3 ceiling should be set very low (which you can raise after roof is correct and "auto build roof"
    is turned OFF.
    In my 3D example, I set all 1st floor ceilings to 96".
    On the 2nd floor, the left wing is also set to 96". I set the right wing at 68", and the 1st floor shed roof then perfectly attached itself to the upper roof.
    So, experiment with the finished ceiling heights and see what happens.

Name:	farmhouse.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	14285  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

To expand on what Jo Ann has said, you use the ceiling height setting to guide in your lower roof, in this case you use that setting to control the roof and then once you have your roof planes where you need them you turn off "Auto Build Roofs" and then change your ceiling settings to suit your finished model.
    Some things (walls and settings) are temporarily set to get the roof result and when achieved you then leave roofs alone and finish your design.
    You use the tools at hand to control and guide and then move on.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks so much for your help, JoAnn! I finally had time to sit down for a couple hours today and try to work it out. As you'll see in my attached photo, I finally got it! I had to tweak the dimensions of the first floor room that juts out a bit, as the pitch of the "shed roof" isn't perfectly lined up with the rest of the gabled roof in reality. And turning off the "auto build roof" was the key I was missing for the 2nd and 3rd floors. I'm thrilled that I can start working on the inside now! Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finally.JPG 
Views:	398 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	14617

Thank you for your added guidance, David. As you can see in my response to JoAnn, above, I was able to get everything in its place. Very excited to be able to move forward!

make sure the area over the knee wall that was removed is supported properly, what's left is supporting that roof by the looks and may need a new beam if you aren't filling it back in....
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Thanks for responding with your successful result! It's always great to get feedback accompanied by pics!

As you can see, I couldn't stop with my sample, either. Sample projects just always seem to scream out for more!

Name:	dezrap farmhouse_2.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	14618  
    JoAnn

HD Architectural 10
    HD Suite 6 & 7

Nice work JoAnn
    Mick

HD Pro 10.4.3.5
    Arch. HD 9.6
    HD Suite 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn View Post
    .....As you can see, I couldn't stop with my sample, either. Sample projects just always seem to scream out for more!
    Have you considered seeking medical attention for your affliction?
    As usual your interpretation is spot on.
    Home Designer Pro 2014

Don't kill your ideas.... Execute them.