Hybrid View

shed roof over porch of 1 1/2 story house

Using HD 7 Platinum.
    I'm having difficulty putting a shed roof (3/12) over the porch. House roof is 10/12. ! 1/2 story house 32' long (first floor) with a 19' long 1/2 story second floor. (All front of structure perspectives.)
    Porch is 18' long and covers 13' of the single floor and then adjoins 5' of the exterior wall (under 2nd floor). Any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum!

Important posts/threads you should read:

Welcome New Users

How to get good answers

How to attach pictures

I am sorry but I have never heard of or know about any software named "Platinum", do you mean Home Designer Pro Version 7? How to do all basic roof types in all versions and titles will be found in the "Build Roof dialog - Roof Styles Tab", take a look.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks for responding. I saw the version 'platinum' from a page I saw in the program although it's not listed in the users guide. I got and loaded this program in 2008 and am only using it for the first time now. The guide does not say "pro" on it. The book (and properties box) simply states home designer version 7.0.
    I have built the rest of the roofs successfully trying out different styles) but as soon as I try adding the covered porch the program changes the pitch for all the roofs or changes the gable location on the single story (leaving the 10/12 pitch or modifying the whole thing to a 3/12). I am unable to get the program to leave the main roof at 10/12 and transition the porch only roof to a 3/12. I tried putting an invisible wall parallel to the exterior wall of the building and that produced a saltbox roof over the porch backsloping into the main roof -hmm.
    The program also doesn't seem to want to 'wrap around' the exterior wall on the story and a half end. I'd appreciate advice...

See if either or both of these You Tube videos help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUwaLWg_Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1qtwfCERk0

I still haven't a clue exactly what software you have so there is no way for me to know if these apply to what you have or not. Home Designer software comes in lots of different titles and versions and all of them vary in ability one to the other.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Attachment 14335Attachment 14336Attachment 14337
    David,
    Thanks for the patience. I have Home Designer Version 7.09 (with Picture Painter version1.).
    You sent me a link to one of your Utube videos that described how to work out the porch roof (01 02 14) and there was another of your videos on the side bar (05 10 12) that showed how to attach the porch roof when it did not go fully across the front of my building.
    I had been trying to draw my whole building at once, then delete 1/2 of the second floor, lower the walls (of the second floor) and then attach the porch to the whole building; then tried to put roofs on each of the 3 sections. This didn't work. Your videos showed me to do the single story section with the porch first (add the roofs), then add the story and a half section (roof it), then stretch the porch across to the desired length.
    It took time for me to learn to do operations in the right order. It would've taken me much longer without your help and the links (and you saved me so much much frustration!).
    Thanks
    Park e
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooflines1.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	14338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooflines2.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	14339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rooflines 3.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	14340